Friday, October 30, 2009

Looking for Beauty

Currently my days are full of facts, figures and memorization. Like most other medical students I assume, I find it hard to remain positive and realize there is more than the book or page of notes in front of me. I just reread the commencement address from my brother's high school graduation this June given by a wise and thoughtful teacher at our alma mater. In his speech he urges the graduates to be ready for beauty which may confront them suddenly and in the most quotidian manner. These days I often become frustrated if I am struggling to understand a concept or spending an evening not studying.
I think it is vitally important for my psychological well-being and my success as a medical student and as a doctor to keep my perspective. I must remember what I am working towards and the profound impact my knowledge will have on other lives. Sure studying and cramming facts into my head efficiently and effectively is my main goal even though it may seem sacrificial. And being on an island thousands of miles from my friends and family may seem isolationist. Yet, I must realize that there are other important elements in my life and that they will be preserved when I resurface during breaks and when I get back to the States after sixth term. On the other hand, it is crucial that I don't think too far ahead or spend too much time lamenting the good old days. Staying focused on the here and now is imperative for my studies. I must take each day as it comes and be ready for whatever beauty comes my way. Beauty comes in many forms and I must appreciate all of them and relish the diverse beauty each day. Reaching out to a friend, the ebb and flow of the tides, the sound of pouring rain and the intricacies of the human body. These things which I might ignore as commonplace are anything but inane. There are the elements of my life and they beg admiration. Taking time each day to reflect on what is uniquely beautiful will surely make each day worth experiencing in this otherwise rote existence.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your post, even if it was a little dark. It's definitely going to get better as you make more friends and get closer to the ones you've made so far.

    ReplyDelete